Busy busy bees

It seems like they still have a considerable amount of prejudices held against them, substance abuse, and diabetes. The surrounding population seem to hold the most prejudices. We heard a lot about people who had grown up in the territory and did not know anything about the culture within the territory. Substance abuse and diabetes also are very prevalent within the territory. Most of the patients I saw also had diabetes. I feel that the health issues are due to deficient knowledge/health maintenance. Many of the patients I saw were overweight, had diabetes, and were not managing it.

From what I’ve seen, the nurses play a huge role in education. Every nurse I saw was educating a patient for one thing or another. Some of the things included monitoring blood glucose and whatever information they needed about immunizations. From what I have seen, the patient is the center of care. Every day in the hospital, I heard something new about how to better serve the patients. The design of the hospital is even made in order to accommodate their cultural preferences.

I feel that my experience is different than the Cherokee. It seems that other organizations are more focused on efficiency. In my experience, we are constantly worried about how fast we can get the patient out of the door and not come back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lots of babies!

Wednesday!

Captain's Log Day 2